Bug: Copying text from certain PDFs with "Custom" encoding broken

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Ginfer2
User

Bug: Copying text from certain PDFs with "Custom" encoding broken

Post by Ginfer2 »

OK, this is sort-of a continuation of the thread "RFE: OCR feature with more settings" where I was asking for a feature to solve a problem which I just noticed was actually a bug in the XChange editor. The RFE still stand on its own and the bug is in a different product, therefore here this separate thread, I hope this is OK.

Now onto the bug, which BTW does not appear in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC:

I have several PDF files which look OK but when I try to copy from them I get different characters than what I was supposed to get (see the attachment in the other thread), e.g. instead of "a" (0x0061) I'm getting "" (0x275B). Searching does not work either. If using the "Content" pane (where I see the garbled characters as well, again, see the screenshot) I'm changing the font away from F16 or similar Type 3 fonts I'm getting the strange characters also inside the visualized PDF.

I can't post the PDFs publicly but I can send them to you if you wish, could you maybe send me an email address as a PM? /edit: You got mail, I sent you an example of such a PDF as an attachment to support@…
Last edited by Ginfer2 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Bug: Copying text from certain PDFs with Type 3 fonts br

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ginfer2

thanks for the report and most importantly the sample file.

The issue has been reproduced and the bug confirmed. A ticket has been raised around this (internal only). If you refer to RT#3787: Copying text from certain PDFs with Type 3 fonts broken when asking about this then any support staff member can look up the status for you.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ginfer2
User

Re: Bug: Copying text from certain PDFs with Type 3 fonts broken

Post by Ginfer2 »

The bug still appears in build 6.0 build 321.0.

I also noticed that the encoding is shown as "Custom", so this might be real culprit instead of Type 3 fonts.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ginfer2,

Thanks for the post - I've asked for a status update on the issue. One of us will post back here when we hear back.

Thanks for your continued patience!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ginfer2
User

Post by Ginfer2 »

Good.

BTW, I have a lot of fresh PDF material with this issue, so just tell me if you need more test cases. I really need this bug fix.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Bug: Copying text from certain PDFs with "Custom" encoding broken

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Ginfer2,

It can never hurt to have more samples. If you are so inclined you may feel free to post a few more, and we will add them to the ticket.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation so far.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Ginfer2
User

Post by Ginfer2 »

It seems like this problem is largely fixed now (except for special characters like quotes and ligatures which apparently can't be always copied or searched for).

Thank you. I wasn't informed by you though, I guess this is because your internal bug tracker entry (RT#3787) is still open because of the remaining little issues.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Ginfer2,

Glad to hear it's resolved now!
I see the ticket was set to a resolved status - so not quite sure why you were not notified - but yeah - we also believe we've resolved that particular problem now.

Cheers,
Stefan