The New Window Function

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kongyiu9998
User

The New Window Function

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Hi. I previously wrote a post about adding the 'New Window' function to the PDF-XChange Editor. Is there gonna to have an update? I really need this function to read my ebooks. I know this may be a tough gig for your team. But I have been waiting for a long while and really wish to have that function. Thanks you guys for working on this :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: The New Window Function

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello kongyiu9998,

We do have a feature that will allow you to open each new document in a new window (see attached).
This window will open if you go to Edit -> Preferences -> Documents, and then on the right hand side click the "Setup..." button in the Tabs and Windows section.

Regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi all,

I guess that kongyiu is talking about the "multiple windows of the same document" feature, see here:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 668#p89407

It would be great if this feature could be implemented -- it is already there in the menu (but grayed):

And this a mockup how it could be implemented, starting from a split window of one PDF document:

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Thanks both of you. David.P is right. That's what I wanted to ask. The 'Split' function is not quite useful if I want to navigate to many different pages of a ebook at the same time. The 'New Window' will definitely help.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I do not know what should be the final goal of the question, but if it goes only about "reading" a PDF via multiple instances of a same application, then why not using the (old) PDF-XChange Viewer (as a "work around")?

In the Viewer, via Edit > Preferences > General, below Application, you can check/activate "Allow Multiple Instances".
If this option was "off" before you made it active, the quit and restart the Viewer, to make it work.

If the Viewer is not set as your "default" viewer, then you can right click on a particular PDF in Windows Explorer, and then click "Open with" and select "PDF-XChange Viewer". Repeat this for every additional instance of the Viewer that you like to start for that PDF.

Best regards.
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Hi Willy Van Nuffel. Thanks for your suggestion. I believe I have missed an important point - besides reading, I also wanted to edit different pages and save all the edits to a single pdf file. Your method works merely works for reading. I can't even make any changes in any one of them as shown in the attached image.
July
User

Post by July »

That looks like you have the document opened in two programs simultaneously, say Viewer and Editor perhaps?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello kongyiu9998,

If the document is open in two instances (be it of the same software or not) you will not be able to save any changes.

The "New Window" feature in the Editor should be coming soon, though I have no specific details to offer.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Maybe just one last idea...

I guess you must be able to edit the PDF, and for some particular reasons you have to compare the text (that must be modified) with several other places in that same PDF.

So, why not make a copy of the PDF and open that copy in multiple instances of the Viewer, while keeping the original PDF open in the Editor for modifications?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

That could work. However, you will not be able to save the changes to the file if is open in the Editor and Viewer.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I agree Patrick, that is what I tried to make clear in my last sentence ... by making a "copy".

Best regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Sorry, I misread that last line! you're absolutely right. :oops:
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Thanks everyone. I opened that document with only the PDF viewer. Thanks Willy Van Nuffel for your suggestion. But let me put it in this way: I want to refer to page 1, 56, 89 and 200 of a pdf file and make edits on these pages at about the same time. If I open 4 windows of the same pdf file at the same time with the current method using pdf viewer, I will not be able to edit any one of them because, I suppose, the program cannot transfer the edits in one window to the other three. If I make 3 or 4 copies of the pdf file, I will not be able to save all the edits in one pdf file when I make edits on each of them.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Sorry that I do not fully understand your way of working.

Probably your best solution will indeed be to wait for the "New window" feature in PDF-XChange Editor.
This feature will offer you the possibility to open multiple windows (views) for a particular PDF and to make modifications to this PDF, via each of these windows.

Actually, I suppose you will have to go each time to the concerning page in the Editor - by using the thumbnails pane - to make the needed modifications. To know "where" (on which pages) you have to make modifications, you can use the windows that you have opened in the Viewer.
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Willy Van Nuffel, you're right. The best solution now is to wait for the 'New Window' feature. Thanks all you guys for your help. Hope that the feature is coming soon :D :D :D :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Is there an approximate date of updating the 'New Window' function? :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Unfortunately not at the moment - we're hoping to release the new build in a few weeks, so if it's not present in that, shoot us a post to remind us and we'll see if we can get any more info. for you.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Ok. Thank you very much. :D :D :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)